TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Has Anyone Experienced This?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Has Anyone Experienced This?

Postby AdelGld » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:58 pm

Has anyone rented two apartments from the same company/landlord, or asked the landlord to be allowed to relocate to another apartment under their ownership?

Also, has anyone rentend subsequent apartments under the same management company?

If so, did you have to re-apply or re-sumbit any application materials? Or was this waived since they already had all your information in their files?

In other words, once they have you as a tenant, and once they have all your application information, do you ever have to give additional information should you simply be renting another one of their apartments?

<small>[ October 03, 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: AdelGld ]</small>
AdelGld

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This?

Postby JulieA » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:17 pm

That's an interesting idea. I'd like to know the answer to that too.

I'm sure it must be a fairly common occurance...
JulieA

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:51 pm

That all depends on the Mgmt. Co. and length of tenancy etc...
If you've lived in the building for a year chances are the records are current and you are simply swamping apts, no resubmission is required.
If you use to rent from them, then moved out and try to come back again, most likely you will be asked to re-submit.
Other factors that may affect the application process is the new rent of the apt., your salary may have changed, etc.
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Postby Myteefine » Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:06 pm

Well I had a one bedroom in an apartment (owned by a management co.)got pregnant and needed a two bedroom to my luck there was an apartment in the building. Well the owner (I guess the landlord) made us go through the whole process again stupid we were living there almost 2 years why make us go through information already priovided to him. And on top of that he was being very specific wanted to know bank statemnts, credit reports (for both me and my husband) income EVERYTHING EVERYTHING. Don't know if they can do that but than again if you were a landlord would you do it again? We did get the apartment after so many phone calls back and forth for about a month in order for him to tell me we got the apartment. I guess it all depends on the landlord
Myteefine

Postby MikeW » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:51 pm

For NYC rent regulated apartments, in the old days (pre high rent deregulation) the LLs encouraged this. If a big apartment opened up (2bedroom for instance), they'd give it to someone in a one bedroom in the same building (or with the same LL, at least), with the vacancy rent increase. They'd then offer the now vacant one bedroom to someone in one of their studios on tha same basis, then they'd rent out the studio. This way they get three vacancy increases from one vacant apartment.

However since high rent decontrol. If a decent sized (anything bigger than a studio) opens up, the renovate it to get an MCI, get the rent of $2K, and then achieve the nirvana of NYC rent regulated Landlorddom, they get the apartment out of regulation. My guess is that in this situation, they might rent it to an existing tenant in another rent regulated apartment, and try to free that one up. However, they might prefer to get someone they know doesn't know the rent regulation game, and might try to challenge the deregulation. They also might prefer someone with a high enough income not only to pay the new, much higher rent, but who would also qualify for high income decontrol, if the tenant challenged the high rent decontrol.
MikeW

Return to NYC General Discussion