TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

question from an exiled subletter

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

question from an exiled subletter

Postby contactlisaarcher » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:46 pm

last month i sublet a room in an apartment in brooklyn. the leasor advertised a three month sublet from october through december and assured me that she would be gone for three months. unfortunately i did not insist on a lease, but i did request a signed receipt for the first month's rent, which she gave me.
one week after i moved in, the leasor called and told me she had to move back due to an emergency. she wanted to move back in on november 1, but said she could be flexible and would do anything she could to be helpful. when i asked for a partial rent refund, she said she was in no position to give me any money back, and we hadn't talked about what would happen if it didn't work out anyway. in my understanding, a sublet agreement is legally binding, and we agreed on a three-month sublet. unfortunately, i only have a signed receipt for first month's rent and leasor's ad for the three-month sublet. i am wondering what options are available to me--legally or otherwise. i have already found another place to live, but i'm still thinking of pursuing the rent refund. thanks for any ideas.
:confused:
contactlisaarcher

Return to NYC General Discussion