TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Valid Lease, Minor Infraction and Possible Eviction

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Valid Lease, Minor Infraction and Possible Eviction

Postby miss_kate » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:09 pm

My roommate & I signed a year-lease last May 1 and we are now facing verbal threats for eviction. This is the story in a nutshell: Our lease had a rider that stated we were not supposed to go on the roof, but we broke the rule. (They also never gave us a hard-copy of the lease as they said it was "standard") The landlady got pissed off & called our house screaming that we were evicted ASAP. Now our landlady's husband offered us a "letter of understanding" that says we should pay a penalty fee of $500 (for breaking the rule & because there is damage - but the house is ancient & there was a worker on the roof to install direct tv for a different tenant, not sure if they can prove the damage was done by us) and since he claims they never co-signed the lease, that the lease is null & void. (He faxed us a copy with signatures -ours!- missing & he wrote "null & void" all over the place - is this legal???) Therefore he is offering us a month to month rent. (Can't they just kick us out if we agree to this?) So, what do we do? Is our lease valid even if they didn't "co-sign" the lease but we signed it in front of her husband (a manhattan rental property agent). Also, we have been good tenants, pay our rent on the 1st of every month and have been sensitive to any complaints (i.e. no trips to the roof after the initial scolding) I am so lost as to what to do and this is extremely frustrating. Is there any way to get around this? Do we have any rights & if so, what? Any help/advice would be appreciated. katetip@yahoo.com
miss_kate

Return to NYC General Discussion