TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Worst Landlord List?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Worst Landlord List?

Postby kinetyk » Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:40 pm

Does anyone have access to any lists of the worst landlords in NYC? Perhaps articles in recent publications with such lists? I am trying to find specific managing agents/landlords (mine), certain that they would be on a list of the worst. I tried the Voice& NY Mag sites-no results. Any help appreciated.
kinetyk

Re: Worst Landlord List?

Postby too trusting » Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:50 pm

I don't know of one. BUT wouldn't it be great for tenants to have a list to look at? LL's do talk to one another and have their own chat rooms and discuss their tenants, legal or not. I've been told by a LL that they'll recommend tenants and warn other LL's of tenants but as tenants we don't have any reference for prospective LLs. The LL's do credit checks and background checks but how do we find out if their past history of how they treat tenants is undesirable?

<small>[ November 04, 2002, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: too trusting ]</small>
too trusting

Postby BJ » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:58 pm

I have heard rumors that the New York times publishes a 10 worst list for Manhattan
BJ

Postby mbrenner » Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:22 pm

I don't know about any worst landlord list -- but
i know if you go to "nyc.gov" on the web and
look up "Buildings" dept and go into their BIS
section, you can find out how many violations
the DOB has given your landlord. That can be
interesting. I think you can do that with HPD
too, but I'm unsure of just what to press in that
section.
mbrenner

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:48 pm

The Village Voice used to do a yearly "!0 Worst Landlords" list.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby queenswoman » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:13 pm

Someone should start an e-group on Yahoo for each borough so tenants can post which landlords do not give heat as required by law or which landlords have serious violations in their buildings. If this can save even 1 person the stress and aggravation of moving into a building and finding out the landlord is really a slumlord then it this would be a very useful thing.
queenswoman

Postby queenswoman » Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:39 am

Actually I would like to start an e-group on Yahoo for tenants in Queens so people can warn each other about bad landlords(due to my bad experiences with landlords). I'm just wondering about the legalities of this? Anyone know??
queenswoman

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:50 pm

I would imagine someone could go over the public records and list landlords who have had complaints filed against them, and those who have been issued summonses,. Simply basing a list on a tenant's word that a specific Landlord does such and such could get you into trouble.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby cestmoi » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:52 pm

Yes! This is a great idea. Anyone know of legal advice regarding this? I would assume keeping it in personal terms of 'my opinion' or 'my experience' with a disclaimer would afford some protection, however as much as I'd love to start one of these, I'm certainly not about to risk legal reprisals just 'cause the landlord's a jerk....

Bueller?
cestmoi

Return to NYC General Discussion