TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

painting an apt and general questions

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

painting an apt and general questions

Postby Derek Smith » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:36 pm

hi-
i've just moved into an apartment with a friend. he's been living here since 1996 and the apt has never been repainted so the walls look sort of grimy.
does he have a right to ask the landlord to repaint the apartment, or are such things up to him?
also since i am new to nyc, i wonder if there is anything online i could read about a tenants basic rights? tenant.net is great but i'm looking for sort of a "tenant in nyc 101" type thing.
thanks,
D.
Derek Smith

Re: painting an apt and general questions

Postby HAJ77 » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:38 am

By law, walls must be painted a neutral color every 3 years by the landlord. In practice, that doesn't happen too often, but it is the LLs responsiblity.

Besides TenantNet, I would suggest that you visit
HousingNYC.com and read the various FAQs and articles. If you're new to the city, find out if your apartment is rent regulated since they are governed by stricter regulations than market rate apartments Are you Rent Stabilized? this will list the building, so you would still need to verify that your apartment is included. Finally, visit NYC.Gov and select Housing-HPD and you can check on violations that your building has with the city.

Being new to NYC, the most important thing to know is that the Yankees are the only team that matters :)
HAJ77

Re: painting an apt and general questions

Postby mjr203 » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:06 am

Originally posted by HJ:
Being new to NYC, the most important thing to know is that the Yankees are the only team that matters :)
It is also important to learn local trivia.

Did you know that Yanks is an abbreviation?

It is short for Yankees SUCK.

;)

-POINTER

<small>[ November 11, 2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC General Discussion