TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Looking to go about preparing to buy a home

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Looking to go about preparing to buy a home

Postby Goldenavatar » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:19 pm

I've been considering planning to go about buying a home in either NYC, specifically the outer boroughs of Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, or Queens, or a home in New Jersey and I was wondering what things I should know before I contemplate any further thoughts on something like this. I don't plan to make any moves on this info for a good few years, so I'm just looking to figure out a good game plan to engage it.

To give you a better idea as to my reasoning for this, for a few years while I was in college, I had thought I'd be able to move out and get an apartment of my own. Unfortunately, the only jobs I've managed to get have been strictly with the government, having me reside for short times outside of NYS and being as how my college education hasn't opened any doors for me for the last 3 years, I've enlisted in the military rather then resort to criminal acts to support myself. Just being unemployed in NYC has three times thus far exhausted or nearly consumed my savings so I'm seriously not considering to go the route of the renter as my mother is even having a hard time with it now and she lives in Section 8 housing.

So, I thought at one time that I'd like to have my own apartment, but everytime I move back to the NYC area, I can't get a job that'll pay for more then my bus far, so as I enlisted and I'm looking to plan ahead and I'm all ears on ideas and input on how to go about that end.

Let me give you an idea of what you're gonna be dealing with. Minority Male, Mid to early 20's, clean record, and good military standing. I hope that info actually helps. I know to check out the VA, but if I can get info to add to it to help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Goldenavatar

Return to NYC General Discussion