TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

roommate rights?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

roommate rights?

Postby catch2222 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:11 pm

I am a roommate who is not on the lease. I have been living in this apt. for almost 8 years. 2/3 of the bills are in my name. At the beginning of july, my roommate(the lease owner) informed me that I would have to move out because his sister was going to move in by Aug. Do I have any rights at all or do I have t suck it up and move?
catch2222

Re: roommate rights?

Postby jot0n0 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:28 pm

Do you have a written agreement with the leaseholder on how to handle moving out? If not then, the normal procedure is a 30 days written notice to vacate the apt. The notice must be given at least 30 days prior to your rent payment, if you pay on the 1st of the month, then leaseholder must serve notice by June 30th asking you to leave on Aug 1st.
jot0n0

Postby Lilly » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:10 pm

Unfortunately unless you have a written agreement with the prime tenant you do not have rights to the apartment. The most you can do is buy yourself some time.
Lilly

Postby citygirlintn » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:11 pm

Switching bills to your roommate's name is easy enough. It can be taken care of relatively quickly by calling the companies, but that is something I would take care of *now*.
citygirlintn

Return to NYC General Discussion