TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Had to break my lease....

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Had to break my lease....

Postby MO_Tenant » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:50 pm

I live in Missouri. I spoke with my manager about leaving and breaking my lease and I asked her if she required a 30 days or 60 day notice. She told me she would accept a 30 days notice. Trust me there is no love lost between us. She tried to retailate against me about a year ago for excersing my right under my lease and I had to hire a lawyer to stop her...long story, I won and she had to renew my lease.
Here is the situation I told her I was brealing my lease because I was being harrassed by a tenant and his friends. They were threatning to hurt my son when they made lewd comment towards his sister and he defended her.
Long story short after I told her about the incedient and that I was afrad of these men I wanted out of my lease.
So I gave notice. I ended up moving out 5 days before I was suppose to because I was threaten and my family with physical harm, police were called but they did not do anything. My car was damaged in the agrument.
So I moved out Nov. 11, five days earlier than expected because I was afriad. I turn in my keys and then filed a formal compalin of events that had happened with the office.
I got a bill in the mail for 1500.00. Rent still owed for the 2 months left on my lease. Plus she took my deposit to pay for the rest of my rent for Nov. She did not inspect my apartment until Dec 1. She is claiming burner drip pans were damaged, and pet damage. I took lots of picture and had serveal niehgbors look at my apt before I turned in my keys.
I called her and sked her why she is doing this. She told me I broke my lease and I said yes and you agreed to it.
I have a very good reason toleave and break my lease.
If I feel my family was in danger I have every right to break my lease. Maybe I am wrong.
Are there any laws that refer to this?
MO_Tenant

Return to NYC General Discussion