TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

My mother's given me three months to get out or else...

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

My mother's given me three months to get out or else...

Postby A_Callwood » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:21 pm

Last weekend my mother and I had possibly the most hostile arguement we've had to date centered around money. Namely, that I won't be contributing to the household for an indefinite period of time until I can get my drivers license so I can be able to enlist into the Air Force reserves.

Monday she came home from work and flat out told me I had three months to find a job or she'd kick me out. I've put my signature on the least every year since I turned 18 and I know my rights, but I want to know, can she actually kick me out in three months?

I only have $317 dollars to pay for my driving lessons, transportation to and from the driving school and cover any small incidentals along the way. I've received no assitance from my family to help me at all. And it's been difficult to near impossible to find work since my last job in December and I'm concerned that this scare tactic might not be a joke.
A_Callwood

Re: My mother's given me three months to get out or else...

Postby Chimera » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:42 pm

Your name may be on the lease, but if you are not paying your share of the rent your mother has grounds to have you evicted. Three months is a lot more than she has to legally give you. I would advise that you start looking for a job, any job, immediately. Even if it takes you more than three months to find a job (you will probably find one a lot sooner than that), if you are making a concerted effort to help out the family she will probably be appeased.
Chimera

Re: My mother's given me three months to get out or else...

Postby TenantNet » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:26 am

This may be more of a family issue than a legal issue, but if the poster is over 18 and on the lease, then it's not really a 'roommate' type situation where the prime tenant (here the mother) licenses the roommate and in essence operates as a landlord to the roommate. Depending on the wording of the lease, all persons on the lease might be 'individually and severally liable' to the landlord for the rent. Here, as a co-tenant, the mother might be able to commence a matter in Civil Court to recover the son/daughter's share of the rent, but whether or not she has the legal right to seek possession (i.e., eviction) is another matter. The landlord can seek possession, but here the mother is not a landlord. In any case, it's probably best to work it out before it gets to that point.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion