TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Con Edison Shared Meter Investigation

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Con Edison Shared Meter Investigation

Postby oligoden » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:39 pm

Has anyone been through a Con Edison shared meter investigation? Con Edison investigated the meter on September 5, 2002 and found that it was an illegally shared meter for which we had been paying the bill since September 2001. However, after going back and forth with many representatives at Con Edison and bringing in the Public Service Commission to aid in the investigation, no refund has been issued. After receiving a turn-off notice in early January, I resumed paying the bills, but deducted the amount from my rent (since the account was in my landlord's name). My landlord refuses to discuss the situation, did not comply with the "deadline" imposed by Con Edison and is considering the monies I've spent on the electric bill as unpaid rent that he will deduct from my security deposit. Con Ed's response to this? "You'll have to take your landlord to court." Isn't that what Con Edison's investigation team is for? Aren't they supposed to *make* my landlord fix the problem or pay the bill instead of just forcing me to pay them more money? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
oligoden

Re: Con Edison Shared Meter Investigation

Postby too trusting » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:41 pm

I had the same problem. But after the time was up for the landlord to fix the problem the bill went into the landlord's name and I was not responsible for the bill. Actually as soon as the problem was discovered I was told to NOT pay the bill by a person at ConEd. I received a refund about 2 weeks after I talked with the person at the shared meter dept. He was wonderful and very helpful and sent me letters that I didn't receive (I beleive my LL took them before I got to the mail) as well as another letter stating I was no longer responsible for the bill.

Call ConEd and tell them you need to talk with someone about your shared meter situation. They'll connect you to the correct dept. but also ask for that direct number. Explain whats going on to the person and that the meter hasn't gone into the LL's name yet and you haven't received a refund. Be polite and nice (they're not the problem your LL is - you catch more flies with honey) and they'll be helpful.
too trusting

Postby oligoden » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:49 pm

Geez, I'm glad that your situation was resolved so well. Unfortunately, the bill has been in my landlord's name since at least December, but, because he refused to pay, Con Ed sent me a shut-off notice then told me that I HAD to continue paying to keep my electricity on. It seems that everyone I talk to has a different story, though, and no one has been able to resolve this in nine months. At least I know now that someone has had a success story and I will definitely keep on them.
oligoden

Postby too trusting » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:25 pm

Originally posted by oligoden:
Geez, I'm glad that your situation was resolved so well. Unfortunately, the bill has been in my landlord's name since at least December, but, because he refused to pay, Con Ed sent me a shut-off notice then told me that I HAD to continue paying to keep my electricity on. It seems that everyone I talk to has a different story, though, and no one has been able to resolve this in nine months. At least I know now that someone has had a success story and I will definitely keep on them.
Isn't your LL's electric on the same meter? If it is then he won't have electric either, if not then its no skin off his nose whether its on or off. In my situation the LL was on my meter so if they turned off the electric she was without electric so she had no choice about the bill.

Stay on them and keep talking to them. Good Luck!
too trusting

Return to NYC General Discussion