TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Documenting Condition of Apartment

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Documenting Condition of Apartment

Postby Laggs » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:25 pm

I am moving out of my apartment next week, and am in an uncomfortable relationship with my landlord (we withheld the security's deposit from the last month's rent, and he is very irate about this.

What is the best way to document the condition of the apartment before we leave so he doesn't make up false damage claims? He is overseas at the moment, so can't do a walk-through, and I'd prefer not to put the super or building staff in an awkward position by asking them to sign something.

We were thinking of taking some photos, but that doesn't seem adequate, and having a neighbor sign something probably won't mean much if it goes to court. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks very much.
Laggs

Re: Documenting Condition of Apartment

Postby Laggs » Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:46 pm

Thanks very much. At least we didn't have carpets when we moved in (just a wood floor, which will be hard to photograph, but worth it if it helps dispute claims).
Laggs

Re: Documenting Condition of Apartment

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:47 am

Just to add to "me again" 's reply: take pictures using the cover of either the NY Daily News or NY Post newspapers in all your pics. These newspapers usually have large tabloid like headings that are easily recognized in photos, and are acceptable forms of date stamping photos for ourt purposes. Be sure to keep the cover :-)
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC General Discussion