TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breaking a co-signed lease

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Breaking a co-signed lease

Postby John24 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:19 pm

My roommate and I both signed the lease, but now she needs to move home for medical reasons. I don't think my LL cares whose name is on the lease as long as someone is responsible for the rent, but I'm wondering, if my LL doesn't allow her to break from the lease, what are her options then?

Also, our lease is up in August and I plan to renew the lease, but I don't want my new roommate to co-sign it. In that case, is it better to do a month-to-month or a sublet.

Thanks for the answers.

J
John24

Re: Breaking a co-signed lease

Postby consigliere » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:47 pm

If the apartment is rent stabilized, you have the right to renew the lease on your own.

You also have the right, when your co-tenant moves out and under a renewal lease on your own, to bring in a roommate.

consigliere

Postby John24 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:24 am

Thx consigliere, that helped. I dunno if I'm in a rent-stabilized apt. There are two apartments on the 2nd floor(me and my roommate live in one) and my ll lives on the entire bottom floor. Also we have a 2 year lease and the rent is suppose to be increased when we renew it. What is that? Thanks.
John24

Postby Chimera » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:03 pm

It sounds unlikely that it is regulated. Usually they are 6 or more unit buildings.
Chimera

Postby consigliere » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:10 pm

Under the roommate law, you have the right, when your co-tenant moves out and under a renewal lease on your own, to bring in a roommate.

This applies to every residential rental in New York State -- not just to rent stabilized apartments.

Your lease might give you greater rights to have a roommate.

consigliere

Return to NYC General Discussion