TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Co-Tenant out, New (Illegal?) Roommate In?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Co-Tenant out, New (Illegal?) Roommate In?

Postby citygirlintn » Thu May 08, 2003 12:41 pm

I live in an apartment with 2 other girls, and all 3 of us are on the lease, along with my father and another father as guarantors.
One tenant (whose father is not a guarantor) informed me and the other tenant that she planned on leaving our lease early more than 30 days ago. We accepted that, and she found a replacement roommate whom I have not met (or approved) due to her unavailability. The caveat with me and my father was that she had to go through the building so that the new girl would be added to the lease-- our lease states that only people on the lease (as tenants or other occupants) are allowed to live there. I have an email of hers acknowledging that she understood this.

She informed me two days ago that she has moved her stuff out (I had been away for the past 2 days), and that the other girl is moving in this weekend. The other girl will be paying her, and she will be paying the rent to the LL. I am NOT okay with this arrangement, nor is my father, the guarantor. I am afraid of reporting this to the LL for fear of whatever may happen, and potentially screwing my dad. Don't even get me started on the 3rd roommate. (If you want to, see "I'm afraid of my roommate" in this folder)

The girl who moved out has been practically unresponsive to several phone calls, saying via e-mail nothing but that she understands the issue and that she will call me. She has repeatedly avoided the issue, apparently hoping it will go away. Unfortunately, this is non-negotiable with my father and I.

I have several questions: What would be the potential consequences of reporting the new girl to my LL? Can they prevent her from moving in? Can they evict me?

Second, what should be my next step if she continues to be unresponsive? Do I need to get a lawyer involved? ESPECIALLY since I don't know her, there is no way I will let her live in my apartment unless she is on our lease as a TENANT.
citygirlintn

Return to NYC General Discussion