TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

unfair judge

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

unfair judge

Postby redm4n » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:40 am

i was ordered to get rid of my washer after i showed the judge letters that i gave the LL stating that i was getting a washer. the LL never answered saying he never got the letter.i had the washer for 2 years now with no problems. since the landlord found out i had a washer he claims there has been flooding in the building caused by the machine. yet when he came to court he had not on stred of proof from anyone complaining about floods or backing up.he couldnt provide not one instance. I alsp showed the judge pics of work done in the house to show that maintanance knew of the washer but never said anything. now all of a sudden since theres a problem with an old pipe in the building that burst they blame me. the judge ruled against me because of a holdover i had 8 months prior. i violated the stipulation and was bought back into court where the matter was finally resolved.case closed. the judge claimed that that case ruined my credibility. but why is he holding that against me when the burden of proof lies on the LL and he didnt prove a thing. he had no evidence but his word. i had documents that the judge admitted into evidence that supported and countered there allegations. but because i violated the stip on a previous case. hes holding this against me instead of using the facts and the law. does a previous violation of a stip automatically rule you out of a win with future cases. I feel the judge acted in prejudice and didnt take the law into account but his own feelings. can i appeal his decision
redm4n

Re: unfair judge

Postby redm4n » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:27 am

the previous case was a dog situation that i got rid of the dog way after the stip oredered me to. so i was bought back into court and i brought documents (proof of transfer) to the new owner. and the case was done and over with. to my knowledge and understanding of my lease no machines were allowed without management being notified first. i hand delivered a notarized letter to them personally stating i was getting a washer in 4 weeks and if there is a problem to contact me. they never did so 6 weeks later i purchesed a washer and had it installed by a licensed plumber. i have had major work done in the house where maintenance could see the machine. they still never said nothing then all of a sudden theres a flood due to a burst pipe in the back of apt. they try to blame my machine said it overstrained the pipes but i had the machine already for 2 years. i bought pics of everything. the landlord had no reports of anyone complaining about flooding or sudsing in the system,cuz thats there complaint with the machine. they only said these things happened but had no proof it was only hearsay. so i argued that they waived their rights. cuz they accepted my rent and knew i had a washer. especially since there maintanance staff saw the machine .but the judge ruled against me cuz the previous case that was overwith i took too long to get rid of the dog so he states that i lied to the court and is using that case against me for this case. old cases sholud not be considered cuzit was closed and done with. he said that ruined my credibility even though i had all good supporting documents.shouldnt he go by the docs instead of the past. the burden of proof was on the landlord and he proved nothing. everything he said i had proof to counter it. i think the judge violated my rights here. i wish i knew what to do.
redm4n

Return to NYC General Discussion