TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Ruin Furniture

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Ruin Furniture

Postby my2boysjj » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:55 pm

I wanted to know if anyone had advise for me. I came home one day to find the biggest leak in my bedroom! I had just gotten a brand new bedroom set (May 02) and it was wet. My matteress were completed drenched with water. the manager of the building came by and said that I could wipe the bureau and chest and the he would replace the mattress. the ceiling was about to collaspe and he suggested that my husband and kids (both under 6 yrs.) sleep either on top the box springs or in the living room. The health department came by and saw the mess and told me that I should not keep the kids there because that could have lead since the building is very old and if it does they can inhale. what would be a suggestion for my family to do.
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:01 am

Re: Ruin Furniture

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:37 pm

sue your landlord for an abatement of rent. You can do this in small claims court, or you can withhold your rent and start an HP action.
Search the "forum archives", using words like : abatement, withhold rent, hp actions, repairs etc., for more info.
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:01 am

Return to NYC General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests