TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Drug house next door!!! Help!!!

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Drug house next door!!! Help!!!

Postby nyc » Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:18 am

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I found out that there is a drug house in the next building to me. Futhermore, they have a backyard connected to mine, and I have been brought to the attention that people hop the fence into my yard!!!! the management is trying to evict them right now and cops have busted the place a couple time already. My question, can I hold the management company liable for destruction to my apt? People have destroyed items in my private backyard, by hopping the fence. In addition, this is surely a safety issue. Please advice me on what I can do. Can I ask for a reduction in rent? Barbed wire? 24 hr. security guards!!!! Help!!!

thanks
nyc

Re: Drug house next door!!! Help!!!

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:09 am

You can always ask your LL in writing to repair/replace items, and that your safety is being compromised by inadequate fencing, and the fencing is assisting the traffic flow to the dealers apt. The letter will also help your LL strengthen his eviction proceeding in the narcotics part of Housing Crt.
You should give your LL a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem from the day of your letter (30 days?). The problem is that if the LL can show that he has been diligently trying to eradicate the tenants (i.e. working w/ the cops), courts may be sympathetic towards him (it's not easy to get Drug Dealers out of a building). Regardless, I would (after 30 days) deduct the damages from my rent. You can tell your LL *verbally* to deduct it from the tenants security. Also take pictures.
Just my opinion. Others may have better suggestions...
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC General Discussion