TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Tenant eviction

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Tenant eviction

Postby jsignor13 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:44 am

I have been living in an apartment for 2 years.The landloard is selling his house and showing the apartment while I am sleeping and without notification to me.I had a heated argument about my rights as a tenant and in his anger he told me I had to be out in 30 days.My question is does he have to give me anything in writing about the eviction?
jsignor13

Re: Tenant eviction

Postby jot0n0 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:41 am

I'm assuming you don’t have a written/signed lease which makes you a month-to-month tenant. A month-to-month tenancy outside New York City may be terminated by either party by giving at least one month's notice before the expiration of the term. For example, if the rent is due on the first of each month, the landlord must inform the tenant by March 31st before the April rent is due that he wants the tenant to move out by May 1st. In New York City, the landlord must serve the tenant with a written termination giving 30 days notice before the expiration of the term. The notice must state that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that refusal to vacate will lead to eviction proceedings.

<small>[ March 20, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: John ]</small>
jot0n0

Return to NYC General Discussion