TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

can landlord ask you for your tax returns??

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

can landlord ask you for your tax returns??

Postby mik » Thu May 01, 2003 10:52 am

moving into the lower eastside - and have already handed over $3500 (deposit and last months rent) to the landlord 2 weeks ago - he's cashed the checks and we have not yet signed the lease. he keep asking for more stuff - we've already given a complete rental history with great references, bank statements, pay checks, cancelled rent checks, got a guarantor. so my question is, now he wants our tax returns - and the guarantor's tax returns - is this legal? seems like very personal info to me and i don't feel comfortable doing it and the guarantor won't do it. can anyone help?
mik

Re: can landlord ask you for your tax returns??

Postby mik » Thu May 01, 2003 12:14 pm

thanks for responding. we have submitted pay stubs and a letters from employers stating how much we earn. why do we need to give W2's aswell? i understand that she wants to know that the guarantor has money if needed - but tax returns?? also isn't it a bit shady that she cashed our checks if she is not finished her enquiries? thats why were anxious to sign something. any more advice how to handle it, cause we really want the place. thanks
mik

Postby citygirlintn » Thu May 01, 2003 1:14 pm

When applying for the building I am currently in, the guarantors had to submit their last year's tax returns, in addition to pay stubs and the like. It was just part of the deal. I don't think it's at all unusual.
citygirlintn

Postby mjr203 » Thu May 01, 2003 4:34 pm

I would never give a LL any money until I signed a lease
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC General Discussion