TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

RENT/EVICTION

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

RENT/EVICTION

Postby TIREDTENANT » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:34 pm

i NEED SOME ADVICE. i WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER TENANT THATMY BUILDING IS RENT STABLIZED BUT I AM NOT SURE. MY RENT IS ALSO 2 MONTHS LATE.. CAN THE LANDLORD EVVITE ME? I HAVE TWO KIDS.

WHEN RENTED TO ME THE LANLORD DIDNOT REDO THE APT. HE JUST PAINTED OVER AND REPLACED THREE WINDOWS. THERE ARE NO DOOKNOBS ON THE DOORS, THE PAIANT PEELS OFF THE WALS AND IN THE WINTER THE IS HARDLY ANY HEAT OR HOT WATER :(
TIREDTENANT
TIREDTENANT

Re: RENT/EVICTION

Postby custudent » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:14 pm

Buildings are not rent stabilized. Apartments are rent stabilized. So it is entirely possible that your apartment is not stabilized and a neighbors is. Contact DCHR to find out if your unit is stabilized.

If you are in arrears on rent, you are at risk for eviction. And a landlord is not likely to renew the lease on a non-stabilized apartment if you are in arrears on chronically late in payment.

You need to call an inspector regarding the peeling paint, missing of doorknobs, and lack of hot water. Contact the DOB. This site can be helpful. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/complaint.html. You will probably have to wait until autumn to deal with any problems that are only a problem in the cold weather. The DOB won’t do anything about a problem they can’t document. If you do not have heat in the winter, call the city’s heat hotline.

Are your children young? If so, you may want to get a lead test performed on the peeling paint. Lead is very harmful if ingested.
custudent

Re: RENT/EVICTION

Postby queenswoman » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:08 pm

It is important to document things like inadequate heat.The best way is to keep a thermometer and write down the inside temperature come October and the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees. As for the peeling paint and lack of doorknobs this is even easier to document then no heat because you can take photos of these violations with a current newspaper. If you have a inspector come down and see that these violations exist that is even better.

If you go to court it is very important to have documentation of violations so that you can get some kind of rent abatement.
queenswoman

Return to NYC General Discussion