TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

carbon monoxide leak

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

carbon monoxide leak

Postby ozi » Sat May 10, 2003 10:44 am

Please, I need some help/advice on this.
Last week there was a serious leak of exhaust gas from the boiler in my building. It set off all the fire alarms in the building; I ended up breathing a lot in and was sick all day. The landlord sent someone to clean the boiler and considers the problem resolved.
However, having gotten a lungful of the stuff, I realized why the stairway has smelled funny the whole year I've lived there. I'm convinced there's a steady, low-level leakage of exhaust gas. It builds up in the mornings, when everyone's taking a shower. I've taken to leaving the rooftop trapdoor open, to vent the place, but I'd really rather not have to worry about being slowly, chronically poisoned in my sleep.
I know there are carbon monoxide detectors, but I'd really like some way to get a PPM reading and compare it to 'acceptable' levels. Is there anyone I could contact about this?
It should also be noted that the boiler is a piece of junk, and was chronically failing during the wintertime.
Many thanks to anyone who has suggestions.
-z in Bushwick
ozi

Re: carbon monoxide leak

Postby jot0n0 » Mon May 12, 2003 9:35 am

If you're smelling it, then it not likely carbon monoxide since it's oderless, it probably something else. You can look in the phonebook for "Environmental Health & Safety Services" to find a company that does air sampling.
jot0n0

Return to NYC General Discussion