TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

DCHR and SRO

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

DCHR and SRO

Postby <JeffersonL> » Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:09 am

I went to DCHR today and spoke to a counselor and they did a check on the SRO. I was told that it is not in their computers and therefore was not rent stabilized and there would be no restrictions if i were to raise the rent. Im not sure if this information is correct or if they were just blowing me off to get me out of the office. Is there anyplace else to inquire about this or is DCHR the ones who make the final decision in reguards to these matters. Obviously it would be to my benefit if the building is not rent stabilized but i would just like to be sure. Thank you. JeffersonLstop@aol.com
<JeffersonL>

Re: DCHR and SRO

Postby TenantNet » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:31 am

First, you should continue the existing threads rather than post new topics.

That a building does not show up on DHCR's database is somewhat meaningless -- it just means no one has registered the units -- which you know.
A slight clarification -- UNITS are rent regulated, BUILDINGS are not rent regulated.

Being stabilized is a legal determination of meeting certain conditions. Even without an active registration, a tenant may challenge the lack of registration arguing that the unit should be rent stabilized. At that point, DHCR is supposed to properly (and properly is a loaded word with DHCR) analyze the situation and facts and make a legal determination. That is why you should look much closer and get expert help.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby <SRO tenant> » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:52 pm

yes: go to the West Side SRO Law Project on
Thursdays 4:00pm-6:00pm. They will help you.
It is on Columbus Ave near 90th street.
<SRO tenant>

Postby TenantNet » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:26 am

Well not exactly. This is a potential landlord who is considering purchasing a SRO building, and who wants to know the potential liability of the units in the building being subject to stabilization. They may clarify his potential obligations, but not "help" as they might help a tenant.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion