TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

breaking lease

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

breaking lease

Postby ymikhale » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:10 pm

I have recently lost my job and I am not a permanent resident, so Immigration law prohibits me to remain in the US. Is it a valid reason (legally) to break the lease?
ymikhale

Re: breaking lease

Postby Chimera » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:46 am

If you get deported, and as a consequence break your lease, there isn't much a landlord can do as far as taking you to court . . . after all, you will be in another country. Are you concerned about getting back your security deposit?
Chimera

Postby ymikhale » Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:13 pm

Well, I am not going to get deported - I will leave by myself. As to the deposit - I will not pay him last month, otherwise I will never see my money since he knows it will be difficult for me to go after him from abroad. I was just wondering if he could win in court in the circumstances and do some damage to my credit.
ymikhale

Postby consigliere » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:41 pm

There should not be a money judgment in a summary proceeding if you default in answering or appearing in court, if you're not served personally or by substituted service. There should be a judgment for possession only.

Of course, to get a money judgment, some process servers will allege that you were served personally or by substituted service, or that the higher standard of "due dilligence" -- rather than "reasonable application" -- was used in attempting to serve you.

consigliere

Postby ymikhale » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:19 pm

Hold on there. I thought getting anything to court was a very lengthy process that taakes months. Can he get a date within a month or something?
ymikhale

Postby wigggly » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:26 pm

In Michigan, once you have been mailed or given a Notice to Quit (7 day) the ll can be in court within 5-10 days after the 7 days are up. So say he mailed it on the 1st, you could be in court anywhere between the 13th-18th.
wigggly

Postby ymikhale » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:11 pm

OK, then I have 2 issues:
1) How long after I don't pay my last month's rent will it take for him to get me to court?
I live in NYC and have until 10th of next month to pay without late fees.
2) If I break a lease - the ll is supposed to make reasonable efforts to replace me, so when can he sue me and for how much?
ymikhale

Postby Chimera » Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:38 pm

ymikhale -- have you attempted to work this out with your landlord? If he clearly understood the situation, he might be very happy to work out an agreement with you so you can break your lease without a hitch.
Chimera

Postby Phil Cohen » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:22 pm

The only real issue here is whether a judgment against you in the US matters to you. If it does you should get a subtenant.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby HAJ77 » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:40 pm

Depending upon where you're going back to, a legal judgement in the US might cause problems in the future. I've known many people that spent their last month or two in the US not paying bills only to have it haunt them a few years later when they wanted to purchase a home or get credit in their home country. If they decide to find out what you were doing in the US, a legal judegement would be easy to find from most countries.
HAJ77

Postby ymikhale » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:55 pm

All that does not sound reassuring - my landlord is really mean so I don't think he will let me off the hook easily. HJ - these people who did not pay bills were from which countries?
ymikhale

Postby HAJ77 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:17 am

In college, I knew people from the UK, Israel, and several Carribean countries that had problems. I'd think any industrialized nation or one with close ties to the US would be able to get the information especially since they tend to look over your finances for several years.
HAJ77

Postby RJMNG » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:59 pm

<<<<Depending upon where you're going back to, a legal judgement in the US might cause problems in the future. I've known many people that spent their last month or two in the US not paying bills only to have it haunt them a few years later when they wanted to purchase a home or get credit in their home country. If they decide to find out what you were doing in the US, a legal judegement would be easy to find from most countries.>>>>

What? You've got to be kidding! Who in a foreign country is going to ask you for your American Social Security number, or even know what it is? I can't imagine, for example, that any European landlord would think of asking for an American Social Security number.
RJMNG

Return to NYC General Discussion