TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about landlord's duties to clean/paint

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Question about landlord's duties to clean/paint

Postby cbabbott23 » Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:06 pm

Here is my situation, hopefully you can follow and be able to answer:
I currently live in a basement apartment and my friend's girlfriend ("Sue") lives upstairs. The lady that manages the building was nice enough to allow Sue to stay past the expiration of her lease while she looked for a new apartment as long as she was out by 9/1. I am moving into my Sue's apartment when she moves out. The lady who manages the building mentioned to Sue that she would be repainting the apartment after she moved out, so I assumed I wouldn't be expected to move in until a few days after 9/1. I spoke to the manager today and she said I am expected to move in when Sue moves out...not only am I not ready to move at the end of this week, I also already had plans and hoped to move the following weekend. Sue has lived in her apartment for 2 years, is there a duty to paint? I don't even want it painted or cleaned, I just want the extra time it would take the manager to do it, and I will tell her as much. Considering I am just finding out today (8/25) that I am expected to move next weekend, do I have any legitimate way to stall until the previous weekend?
Another fact that may be helpful is that the son of the lady that manages the building is moving into my apartment, so it is not like it is a random tenant, I think there would be more flexibility in my case.

Thanks for any help in this matter.
cbabbott23

Re: Question about landlord's duties to clean/paint

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:22 pm

Most likey the LL doesn't really care exactly what you move in, what they do care about is when your lease begins and you "officially" take occupancy.

Apartments are supposed to be painted every two or three years, or "as needed." It's perfectly normal to expect the apartment will be freshly painted when you move in, and all repairs should be completed. Most people are upset when these kinds of things linger on.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC General Discussion