TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL with some out of line Questions.... please help

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

LL with some out of line Questions.... please help

Postby jnba » Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:47 am

Hello all,

recently I decided to give my LL a call and let him know that my Girlfriend will be staying at my apartment while Im out on Business/work Travel just to be sure he doesnt start interogating her as he has done this to several other people.

Well he told me oh just bring me a letter with her name and address.. well done, after i took the letter to him he asked me all these questions like:

1- How long have you known her...
2- Where'd you meet...
3- What does she do...
4- What school does she go to..
5- Wants her CELL number...
6- Wants her SS number...

After all these questions some answered and some were not, I ask him why does this Concern you..? I think you should only be advised that she'll be living with me for some time,her name and her primary address.

he answers: oh.. its a HUD regulation or something like that.. anyways I told him I'd get back to him for CELL and SS# and really wanted to know what are my rights for this issue.
As i understand i have a right to have anyone with me on a temporary basis or as i see fit, as long as i do not go over the occupancy limit.

Well any help is really appreciated.
Jnba
jnba

Re: LL with some out of line Questions.... please help

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:32 am

Personally I think you did your LL a favor explaining that you're going to be out of town and someone is looking after your apartment.

As long as she's your guest, her address, social security number, cell phone number, etc, is none of his business... and there's really no reason why you should have to inform him in writing.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Re: LL with some out of line Questions.... please help

Postby kinetyk » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:01 am

I'm with cranky on that one--sounds like you have my LL. You were under NO obligation to explain your HOUSEGUEST. You are under NO obligation to furnish LL with ANY information about her.Let the LL know you aren't a pushover & chances are he/she will back off.
kinetyk

Return to NYC General Discussion