TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Housing Court - sued for repairs, how to get rent abatem

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Housing Court - sued for repairs, how to get rent abatem

Postby katbka » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:40 pm

Hi all,
I sued my landlord for repairs (my roof has been leaking for 3 years and landlord never replied to my letters or phone calls) and on the court date the judge I spoke to said they only handle the repairs part and don't deal with those who seek rent abatement. I got the papers from the judge saying that my landlord has to fix the conditions within 30 days. Where do I go to sue the landlord for rent abatement?

Thank you!!!
katbka

Re: Housing Court - sued for repairs, how to get rent abatem

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:17 am

You can take him to small claims court or you can withhold what you deem is a reasonable portion of your rent and wait for him to take you to court for non payment -when you file your answer, countersue for the repairs.
To be successful, you must have proof of how long the condition exists, and that had informed him. If this was admitted (by LL) in your HP action then you need'nt gather further proof.
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Re: Housing Court - sued for repairs, how to get rent abatem

Postby katbka » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:20 am

BB, thank you for your reply! I thought of witholding rent, but I'm planning to buy an appartment of my own in a year or so, and afraid my credit history would not be as good and coop boards might not like me. :(
As far as it goes with the small claims court - I have been paying rent and for the past 3 years lived in a dump. I have letters, pictures and witnesses, and was hoping to sue my Land Lord for a bit more that 3K allowed by the small claims court. Any suggestions?
katbka

Return to NYC General Discussion