TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

noise level

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

noise level

Postby tangkk » Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:34 pm

I moved into this apartment two months ago, starting March 5 my upstairs neighbor complained about my music at night. I usually play my music at level 3 to 4 on the computer volume control during the day and my computer is connected to a stereo speaker, I turned the volume down to level 2 after 10:30pm. My upstairs neighbors came down to ask me to turn down my music a couple of times around 8:30 to 9:30pm and a few times by the security guard from time 10:00 to 11:00pm. I
received a written warming from the manager on Mar. 27, I went to discuss the issue with my assistant manager the next day and apologize for the noise make the night before because I was unaware of the bass from the video I played before on my computer. I also took her suggestion and move my speakers close to my
bed and lift them up off the floor. After the warming I make sure I turn my volume down at night and I would get out of my apartment and make sure my noise don’t get outside also. This past Tuesday 10:30pm (April 2) the security guard knocked on my door and asked me to turn down the volume again, but this time I was only playing the music at level one and we both cannot hear
a thing of my music outside my apartment so I refused to turn down the music further (and I couldn’t also cuz it as at level 1 already). I went to the manager office yesterday hoping to get some help from the manager, but as soon as the manager knew I was the one making noise she asked me in the room, closed the door and put the rental agreement onto my face and asked me to read the item about noise from the agreement.
During my 15 mintues in the manager office she
wouldn’t let me explain to her the fact that I did
improved a lot on my music since the warming and I did everything the best I can to not dispute anyone. In the office she accused me being inconsiderate, playing treats to my neighbors by turning my music up and down up and down after they complained (I didn’t) and said I pretend I don’t understand English sometime (which
I never did). We had a fairly heated argument,
everything I tried to say something she would stop me and speak louder, at the end she was more yelling. I tried to invite my manager and the security guard into my apartment to determine what volume is acceptable but they both refused. Yesterday I received my 3 days cure violate or move out notices and now I have the following questions: 1. Can my manager kick me out because of a one-sided story and without any investigation? So far only my upstairs neighbor
complaints and no complaints from my next door
neighbor. I guess my upstairs neighbor is very
sensitive to noise because she would turn off her
clock at night because of the ticking sound. 2. Is she violating my rights to defend myself when I was in her office yesterday? 3. What is the definition of disturbing noise? My music was so low since I got the warming I can barely hear it if I walk away from the speaker and there is no noise outside my apartment at all, if I have to use a measure tools to make the level in db I am sure it will be acceptable too. 4. From the moment I got in my manager office she was
using a very pleasant tone and then the yelling at the end. It seems to me that no one will use that tone to another adult. I happened to me a college student, female and English is not my native language so I really cannot speak up much when we get into the argument. Is that just bad attitude or discrimination?
tangkk

Re: noise level

Postby <Red Zephyr> » Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:08 pm

Two word answer: USE EARPHONES

I think all your music must of drowned out your brains. But logic says the if your neighbors, security guard and apartment manager all tell you that your music is too loud...then its too loud.
<Red Zephyr>

Postby Lilly » Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:50 pm

Yeah, use your headphones!!
Lilly

Postby <DiscoStu> » Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:43 pm

B.S Find out if your upstairs nieghboor is reqiured to have carpeting as part of his or her lease. If they are and don't have it, then they are are the one's who are in violation and responsible for the noise. You should be allowed to listen to music or watch t.v in the comfort of your apt.
<DiscoStu>

Postby Lilly » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:54 pm

To DiscoStu: Huh? Whats carpeting got to do with this? Use your brains...
Lilly

Postby <K.> » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:13 pm

Lilly, come on, be nice :-)
I had a similar problem - every time I do anything, my downstairs neighbor's kid would stop by and ask us to "stop banging". We are usually quiet as mice, but some people have very sencitive ears and you have to be compationate. So we tried even harder. As it turned out at the end, she was "in love" with my bf and just wanted to get his attention. We spoke with her parents and all the complaints stopped. :p
<K.>

Postby <DiscoStu> » Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:50 pm

I'll explain it to you Lilly, in a very polite way. I live in a building where, every apt is required to have carpeting. The reason for this is noise transfers through ceilings. If the upstairs neighbor had carpeting and padding under that carpet, this would significantly reduce the amount of noise that came through. I say this from my own experience, where I have a neurotic person who lives above me. He has to clean his apt 24 hours a day. He is constantly moving furniture and any time he drops something on the floor, I hear it. So that is the point of the carpeting. It could be the upstairs neigbor refusal to install carpeting, just like my upstairs neigboor who is at fault.
<DiscoStu>

Return to NYC General Discussion