TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security deposit snafu

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Security deposit snafu

Postby sphykitt » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:43 pm

So I have a complicated situation and I am not entirely sure how to proceed.

My roommate and I signed a one year lease from Sept 1, 2002 - Aug 31, 2003. Our landlord never sent us a lease renewal, but continued to accept rent from us. We contacted them about renewing the lease, but as it has turned out time and again with out landlord, they never got back to us. Anyway, we decided to move out rather suddenly in April 2004. We had already paid April's rent, and had given the landlord last months rent when we signed the lease. We made a verbal agreement with the landlord that they would return one half of the last months rent since our official move out date would be May 15. So now it is July 3 and we have not recieved any of the money, security deposit or over paid rent. After repeated calling, almost everyday for three weeks, we finally found out that they were not planning on returning the security deposit in full because we did not repaint the bathroom. Our arguement with this is that the landlords moved a new tenant in before May 15, without telling us. So legally I would like to know what my rights are, and what money I should be receiving back, and how to further proceed with these uncooperative landlords.
sphykitt

Return to NYC General Discussion