TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Anyplace you can file a complaint against your landlord?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Anyplace you can file a complaint against your landlord?

Postby Brooklyntenant » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:42 pm

Does anybody know where you can file a complaint against your landlord in New York City for laws he/she broke? Keep in mind this is for a private building w/4 apartment units.

Thank you
Brooklyntenant

Re: Anyplace you can file a complaint against your landlord?

Postby Brooklyntenant » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:26 am

She broke General Obligations law, article 7 which is the security deposit law. I've contacted the attorney general about this one and all they can do is try to mediate the situation and get the the deposit back. She also broke Public Service Law 228 the Right to Privacy. She also committed fraud by writing a check to pay for my move which she later stopped payment on and broke our agreement. I've asked around all the housing agencies as well as the attorney general's office and they all tell me nobbody is sure where I can file a complaint against my lawyer. If you could tell me where it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brooklyntenant

Re: Anyplace you can file a complaint against your landlord?

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:29 pm

Your best recourse would be to take her to civil court (if under $3000.00 small claims). You may also want to search the tenant.net forum archives under "security deposit".
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC General Discussion