TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

80% of the floor area must be covered?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

80% of the floor area must be covered?

Postby Lilly » Sun May 04, 2003 10:58 am

Could someone point me to the "law" which states that 80$ of the floor area in an apartment must be covered or carpeted? I would really appreciate it!
Lilly

Re: 80% of the floor area must be covered?

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun May 04, 2003 11:30 am

Lilly
As far as I know this clause sometimes is included in leases, but there's no actual law.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby HardKnocks » Sun May 04, 2003 12:18 pm

So if it's in your lease, which is supposedly a legal contract, doesn't that make it legally enforceable? In other words, if you sign a contract that states you will cover 80% of your floor area, are you not legally bound to do it?
HardKnocks

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun May 04, 2003 11:13 pm

Yes, if the provision is in your lease, not carpeting or removing any existing carpeting could be a violation of your lease, if the LL choses to enforce it.

However , I've yet to see anything in housing laws that requires tenants to carpet 80 percent of their apartments.

Hardwood, parquet, inlaid and tile floors are often considered to be some kind of ammenity. If tenants were required to carpet it would do away with that ammenity.

It also implies that the tenant must supply the carpet while there are still some apartment buildings that provide carpeting.

Last but not least, depending on the layout of an apartment, carpeting 80 percent of the floor could require some tenants to carpet kitchens or bathrooms.

<small>[ May 04, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
Cranky Tenant

Postby HardKnocks » Mon May 05, 2003 8:31 am

I believe the provision specifically excludes kitchens, bathrooms and hallways.

My question has always been this: Does it mean 80% of floor space TOTAL, or 80% of floor space not already covered by furniture?

Maybe I think too much... ;-)
HardKnocks

Postby jot0n0 » Mon May 05, 2003 9:05 am

Bleary-eyed, the answer to you question would be the latter, 80% of floor space not already covered by furniture. The point of this provision it to reduced noise and wear/tear in the areas you walk on.
jot0n0

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon May 05, 2003 4:34 pm

Originally posted by Bleary-eyed tenant:
I believe the provision specifically excludes kitchens, bathrooms and hallways.

My question has always been this: Does it mean 80% of floor space TOTAL, or 80% of floor space not already covered by furniture?

Maybe I think too much... ;-)
I'd imagine this provision varies according to each lease and exactly how it's worded.. If it says 80% of the apartment, I would presume it means 80% of the apartment. If it excludes the kitchen and bathroom then I would presume it refers to the remaining space. Perhaps the 20% that's not required to be carpeted is supposed to be covered with furniture. Either way, I doubt anyone is going to measure every square inch of your apartment andcalculate the actual percentage.

By comparison, my lease has no carpeting provision.

<small>[ May 05, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
Cranky Tenant

Postby HardKnocks » Mon May 05, 2003 4:52 pm

Well, in any event, I wish my upstairs neighbor would comply with it. It's a pain in the butt being awakened at 3-5 every morning by her stomping around on bare floors.

The 80% rule is a wonderful concept, but, much like the "It's illegal to honk your horn except to signal danger" law in NYC, it's useless if no one ever enforces it.
HardKnocks

Return to NYC General Discussion