TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Noisy Neighbors

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Noisy Neighbors

Postby vadimsmith » Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:32 pm

Hello,
I have noisy neighbors who live above my apartment. The wearing of high-heeled shoes at all hours inside the apartment, constant banging, furniture moving, dog running and other loud noises create unbearable living conditions for my family. Their apartment is not carpeted. The proprietary lease and house rules require 80% carpeting in apartments in our building.
I have sent 3 complaints to my landlord regarding excessive noise emanating at all hours of the day, and especially at evening and night hours from that apartment. After the second complaint I got a response (a copy of the letter, in which the management is asking for my neighbor to reduce the noise). I asserted that only properly installed carpet can reduce the level of the noise enough to satisfy me. One month ago I asked the management for some response from them immediately. If I did not receive a prompt response, I would withhold my rent pay or I would be contacting the Brooklyn Tenants Association for advice on further action I can take. So, here I am! I really need your advice. What should I do?
Tomorrow is supposed to be my next payment.
I really appreciate if you could help me.
Thank you.
Vadim.
vadimsmith

Re: Noisy Neighbors

Postby Lilly » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:32 pm

It sounds like the LL is acting responsibly. Do not withold rent. Do call the cops after 11pm.
File a complaint when they arrive, get the complaint number and include it in your next letter to the LL. LL sounds like he will take steps to remedy the situation. You should also send certified letter to the upstairs neighboors.
Lilly

Return to NYC General Discussion