TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Please Help

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Please Help

Postby jj1124 » Wed May 07, 2003 9:49 am

I live in Suffolk Co and have a 2yr lease, I've been in the house for a year now, and my landlord put the house up for sale for 2month now I have a 3400.00 deposit with him and he told me he would give it back to me 30 to 60 days after i move out(NOT)...
so I decided to move on the 15th of JUN and just not pay rent until i leave because i dont trust him, nothing is damaged in the house and we are clean people, he never gave me a new lease after he told me they were selling the house, on top of that I just fractured my ankle on the drive way which has been badly damaged since we moved in and i might make an issue out of that.....Someon please give me advice....THANKS
jj1124

Re: Please Help

Postby Chimera » Wed May 07, 2003 10:25 am

If you have a two year lease, and you have been in the house for one year, then your lease is still valid, whether he is selling the house or not, and there is no reason for him to give you a new lease now. If you leave now you will be breaking your lease and can be held liable for lost rent as well as any damages to the home. If the home is sold the new owners will be obligated to honor your lease, or else work out an alternate arrangement with you.
Chimera

Return to NYC General Discussion