TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Has anyone here successfully broken a lease (rent stabli

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Has anyone here successfully broken a lease (rent stabli

Postby jenthreat » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:55 pm

I live in a rent stab. apt in Prospect Heights...I don't like it and want to move. I have no real reason, although this apt sucks and the water leaks sometimes, from above.

The one thing going for me is that if I move, the ll can jack up the rent more, so that might be in my favor.

Anyone have an ideas for the best reasoning? Should I tell him I am broke and moving back to the Midwest, or that I'm getting married, or something? He's approachable and is cool unless you are complaining about a problem, like all ll, he just cares about cash.

Thanks!
jenthreat

Re: Has anyone here successfully broken a lease (rent stabli

Postby cathy b » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:42 pm

In theory - he can hold you to the lease. But if give the LL 30 day notice, he should be fine with it. Or perhaps give him 60 days so that he can get someone else.

Handle it as a simple business matter and it shouldn't be a problem.

However, I recommend that if indeed the LL gives you a verbal okay - then you must put the agreement in writing and mail (certified) a copy to LL.
cathy b

Re: Has anyone here successfully broken a lease (rent stabli

Postby MikeW » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:46 pm

I walked out on the middle of my last RS lease. The LL couldn't be happier. Once I was gone, my $900/month studio morphed into a $2800/month three bedroom.

I would pose it to the LL as a offer ("Listen, I can stay here till hell freezes over paying submarket rent, or you can let me go and rerent the apartment however you like. Your choice."). I doubt he'll give you any trouble.
MikeW

Return to NYC General Discussion