TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

made mistake - rented by an elevated train!!

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

made mistake - rented by an elevated train!!

Postby erica11 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:11 am

please help -

I just rented an apt. in queens, in a building with an entrance one block away from an elevated subway. when i first saw the apt., i didn't realize that the building took up the entire block - all the way to the subway line. when i looked out the windows, i saw that the apt. faced a (seemingly quiet) alley. at the time, the apt. was being renovated and the windows were dirty so i didn't spend any time peering around outside.

after i signed the lease and received keys, i went over to the apt. and realized that it's right around the corner from the subway. when i first visited the place, i was only there for 5 minutes and didn't notice any noise (it was probably between trains). but after spending an hour in the apt. i got a splitting headache.

the lease started on august 15th and my check and security deposit have both cleared, but i haven't moved in yet. is there any way i can break my lease early because of this? if i start getting chronic headaches i don't know what i'll do - i'm a student and will be spending a lot of time at home.

any/all advice appreciated!!
erica11

Re: made mistake - rented by an elevated train!!

Postby erica11 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:59 am

ok, thanks for the heads-up.

it is completely my own fault, but i didn't know if there still might be some way to back out for health reasons (i.e. impending migranes).
erica11

Re: made mistake - rented by an elevated train!!

Postby erica11 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:42 am

sounds smart. thanks again for your help.
erica11

Return to NYC General Discussion