TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Providing A Key to An Apartment Lock

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Providing A Key to An Apartment Lock

Postby consigliere » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:14 am

For some strange reason, upperwestsider (Junior Member Member # 453) posted the message below, on October 26, 2002 at 4:00 a.m., under NYC Rent Regulated Apartments, with the strange subject line, T434RD. I'm re-posting it here:

"last year, my landlord had replaced the door in my apartment becuase the door was literally falling apart....

at that time, the locksmith gave me the keys without giving my LL a copy...

well yesterday...i got a letter from my bastard LL and he said if i dont provide him a copy of the keys withing 48 hours, he was going to replace the door locks and charge me for the cost...is this legal?"

It's an interesting question. Generally landlords keep a key to any apartment door lock provided by the landlord.

Multiple Dwelling Law (MDL) §51-c allows a tenant to install his or her own lock on the apartment door, and also requires the tenant to give a key to the landlord, if the landlord requests a key.

The intent of MDL §51-c appears to be to give a landlord access to an apartment, for emergency purposes, and a tenant would probably have to give the landlord a key to the landlord-provided lock, if the landlord lost the key or didn't get a key in the first place.

The landlord probably wouldn't be allowed to replace the lock, but would have to go to court to get a copy of the key. This could be a long and expensive process for both the landlord and the tenant.

consigliere

Return to NYC General Discussion