TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Management Company Troubles

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Management Company Troubles

Postby Disgruntled Suzie » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:17 pm

I rented for 3 years in a co-op apartment in Queens. My lease ended on 2/28/03. On 2/22/03, I moved 95% of my belongings including all furniture out of the apartment. I removed 10 bags from the apartment the following Friday and the elevator broke down while my friends were using it. Now the management as refused to refund my $500 move-out deposit saying I violated the House Rules by moving out after hours. In addition, they told my landlord not to return my $1,150 security deposit because they are charging me for the elevator repair. Can they do this? What rights do I have? Further more when I realized I wouldn't be able to leave at the pre-arranged time I had with the super, I spoke to him that evening and he said it was okay for me to leave after 9:00pm. The apartment was left in perfect condition, and even the landlord thinks they are running a game on me. What can I do? Everything is hearsay.

Disgruntled Suzie
Disgruntled Suzie

Re: Management Company Troubles

Postby TenantNet » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:19 pm

It's a con game. Never heard of a move-out deposit separate from a security deposit. Probably illegal. Contact the NYS Attorney General's office and consider suing in small claims court. Use your friends as witnesses on the condition of the unit and as to what happened. Hope you took photos as they will invent damages. Also speak to former neighbors to see if they can back up your story. They might also know if the empty unit is unlocked - so you can go back and take photos if you didn't.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion