TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can I legally break my lease within 30 days?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can I legally break my lease within 30 days?

Postby Chodite » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:58 pm

I've been living in my Philadelphia apartment for just 2 weeks now. I am very unhappy with a number of things related to my new apartment and would be much happier somewhere else.

Someone recently told me that I may be able to legally break my lease within 30 days of my move-in date and still get my securtiy deposit + last month's rent back. Does anyone know this to be true or not? Thanks!!
Chodite

Re: Can I legally break my lease within 30 days?

Postby Tuky » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:17 pm

Why is this place making you so unhappy?
Tuky

Postby Zamindar » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:50 pm

I have never heard of any such law that would permit you to do this, if you can find a source please let us all know. But I strongly doubt that there is any such law. The only plausible thing that could possibly permit you to break your lease is if there are code violations that go uncorrected. Otherwise I suspect that you are out of luck unless you can get your Landlord to agree to release you. I had a friend that had a §8 Voucher that got in this predicament, She also after two weeks was very unhappy with her apartment, but since there were no code violations she could not get out of it until her lease was up the next year.
Zamindar

Postby Chodite » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:40 pm

Originally posted by Tuky:
Why is this place making you so unhappy?
A few things about the apartment bother me.

- I'm finding a lot of spiders everywhere. Walls, ceiling, sink, etc...

- The complex does not give you the choice of cable, phone and internet providers. The guy who owns the complex also owns the cable/phone/internet company - a little rinky-dink company who cannot provide consistent service and is very frustrating

- Parking is THE worst. If I get home after 7pm, I have to park about 1/4 mile away from my apartment

- Central AC doesn't work in master bedroom. Fan doesn't work in bathroom.

- Laundry facility in the building is a dungeon. Very dirty, wet and scary

Paying $1130/month is a real bummer for what I'm getting. I'm in Philly btw. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

So I'm assuming I'm screwed for a year.... ?
Chodite

Postby too trusting » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:26 am

Yep. I hate to say this but that's just about par for NY and most folks pay alot more.
too trusting

Return to NYC General Discussion