TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Illegal Eviction? Please help!!

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Illegal Eviction? Please help!!

Postby silvertone83 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi all,
Any information you can provide me is much appreciated.

I live in Indiana and not NYC, but found this site as a good resource.

I have been renting a house from my parents for the past 8 years. Rent is extremely cheap. This past year I allowed my significant other to move in. NO LEASE OR AGREEMENT WAS EVER SIGNED. She has been living there for $140/month + utilities (about $100).
We purchased a couple of pieces of furniture together, an English Bulldog, and had a room remodeled that we split the cost of.

I recently find out that she has been using me and my parents for a cheap place to live while she tries to find another home and get out of the relationship. When I found this out, I told her she needed to get her things out ASAP and be gone, and that the relationship would be over.

A week passes and the about 50% of her things are still in the house. She is not currently working, so she has had plenty of time to move.
When the topic of dividing up the joint purchases arises she becomes extremely angry and irrational (she pretty much wants everything + some). I fear that she intends to come to the house while I am at work and take everything she wants. She refused to give me back the key.

So, I had the locks changed as she stormed off.

I begin boxing up the remaing items and putting them on the back car port. She arrives within in an hour while I am still in the process, and says she is going to sue me and my family for illegal eviction, and also for not giving her all the furniture and a full reimbursement for the room remodel.

I have split the furniture purchases evenly with her, and also allowed her to take the $1000 English Bulldog, but do not feel like I owe her the cost of her portion of the room remodel ($1700). That was something we did with the intention of buying the house soon.

She maintains that she is going to take legal action and sue.

Does she have a legitimate case? Have I broken any laws.

PLEASE HELP!!!
silvertone83

Return to NYC General Discussion