TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rigged ConEd bills?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Rigged ConEd bills?

Postby THansonNYC » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:57 pm

Is it possible for a landlady to somehow have other units' utlilites "channeled" to my apt's bill? Ithe last few months my ConEd bills have increased from around $60 to over $200/month without reason. In light of increased tension I have with the landlady (in what I believe are attempts to get me to leave so she can substantially raise the rent, such as numerous unreasonable harrassments), I wonder if she has any control over my electircal bill. (ConED has no answers for me.)
THansonNYC

Re: Rigged ConEd bills?

Postby jot0n0 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:56 pm

A LL stealing electricity or "thief of service" is common. He can easily tap into you power line in the basement (if that's where the electric meters are located) and divert power to LL's own aparment or to power building's services (lights, boiler, etc). Detecting and proving it is difficult if you don't have access to see your meter in basement. The usually method to detect power leak is unplugging every electricity consuming appliances and gadgets in your apt and see if the meter show usage. If it continue to show power consumption, most likey it tapped need to call Con Ed to file a complaint and they will need to send someone to investigate it.
jot0n0

Postby ChrisG » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:37 am

ConEd should be able to help too. If you believe you are getting swindled, they can send out a guy to investigate your claim. ConEd did this for me, and the guy basically did what John described, unplugging everything and checking the meter. getting the inspector to come over can help force the LL to do what is right, but if nobody turns out to be stealing your power, then having a third party come into it can also exacerbate tension between you and the LL, so proceed with caution!
ChrisG

Postby Chimera » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:14 pm

Also think if you have introduced any new appliances during this period of increase. Space heaters consume a tremendous amount of electricity, so if you have been using one that could be a possible explanation for the increase.
Chimera

Return to NYC General Discussion