TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Roommate going to jail--what happens to stuff?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Roommate going to jail--what happens to stuff?

Postby oshma » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Hello all.

My girlfriend's roommate is in jail for armed robbery, and will probably be going Up the River for some time (the victim chased her and held her for police, and they found the gun, so the case is pretty good).

My gf is wondering what her legal responsibility is in terms of holding on to this person's stuff. The roommate is on the lease, unfortunately--but that ends in July. As long as the stuff (and there is a prodigious amount of it) is in the apartment, my gf can't get another person in to share the rent.

Any ideas?

Thanks, all, for any insights.
oshma

Postby TenantNet » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:18 pm

You say the case is pretty good, but what would happen if for some reason the court found the roommate not guilty?

Is this person still helping with the rent?

Does this person have family where the personal effects could be delivered?

I honestly don't know what the obligations would be in such a situation.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

money and sentencing

Postby oshma » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Her disability check will continue until she is sentenced, at which point she will be completely without assets and unable to pay anything. That might be around the time the lease ends, in which case there's less of a problem. End of lease=no legal right to the apartment anyway.
oshma

Postby TenantNet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:58 pm

It's not a question of the right to the unit, but the possessions, and I don't think one can simply wash their hands. I would hope the person charged would take care of things, but I don't know if a roommate or landlord can simply toss the possessions.

TenantNet

roommate stuff

Postby oshma » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:17 am

It seems unfair that my gf should suffer financially for the roommate's criminal behavior--first by having to pay full rent without benefit of a responsible roommate, and then by having to pay for storage for property that isn't hers.
oshma

Postby TenantNet » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:27 am

No one is saying she must, but I offered my opinion that there might be some exposure, which is why she should get a legal opinion. If a tenant leaves the unit and abandons their property, usually a LL must hold onto it for a period of time prior to disposing it. That has to do with the uncertainty of it being abandoned.

TenantNet

Postby oshma » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:24 pm

I see. I _really_ appreciate the feedback. Neither of us has ever been in this situation before, and God willing, never will be again!

Thanks for your help!
oshma

Roommate in jail

Postby oshma » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:48 pm

So, it's been more than a year, and the "roommate" is still in jail, is still not going to trial, and has made no, zero, zip, arrangements to remove her belongings, despite frequent and repeated requests to do so. My girlfriend has suffered financially as a result.

Now can she throw the stuff out?
oshma

Postby Emeraldstar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:55 am

Hi All
Just my take:
Assuming you have proof of repeated requests that went ignored, I say pack it up & mail it to the jail. They can get mail. If the items are large like furniture sell, donate, & mail the resources made to jail. Keep reciepts for the postage deducted and any other related docs.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion