TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No lease and security being withheld

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

No lease and security being withheld

Postby tdm » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:11 am

I gave a potential landlord a security deposit, but there was never a lease signed or presented. He is an attorney and mentioned something about doing a verbal lease, but it was not confirmed. After a week I realized that I could not afford the rent myself (my potential roomate did not want to do it). I let my potential landlord know and he said he would return my money. He never did and now I am six months into this situation. Any advice?
tdm

Re: No lease and security being withheld

Postby ChrisG » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:01 pm

do you have a receipt of the transaction? if you gave him a check you would have a record of it. with a paper trail it seems you would have leverage to hound him to return the dough. frankly it sounds a bit sketchy, if he's a lawyer and still wanted a 'verbal lease', i can't imagine where that would hold up. verbal contracts seem mostly the province of personal integrity, which of course has no place in a court of law :)
ChrisG

Postby tdm » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:52 pm

I felt the same way so I got a copy of my posted check and filed a suit in small claims court. However, he has filed a counterclaim against me for failure to pay rent and breach of lease. I never received keys from him and there was no terms (verbal or written) set forth to constitute a lease. I am wondering if I should get an attorney to argue on my behalf just because I feel like there is something that I must be missing.
tdm

Postby Chimera » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:03 pm

Did he ever give you keys to the apartment? Did you ever move your stuff in?
Chimera

Return to NYC General Discussion