TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sharing/Roommate Eviction

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Sharing/Roommate Eviction

Postby 3xeffed » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:12 pm

Hello,

I am the primary tenant on record for my lease. The lease has expired and we are month to month.

A few months back a 'friend' was staying with me for free. My roommate at the time wanted to move out and she decided she wanted to move in. She verbally agreed to pay the deposit and rent for January 2010 to move into the room.

January came, she paid the rent and the deposit to the former tenant. She paid cash. No receipts were generated, as we've never really done any of that formality stuff before and never thought it was necessary.

February comes along and she failed to pay all her rent. Worse, she lost her job and lied to me about losing her job. I found out via a mutual friend. I asked her to leave by the end of the month on February 4th. I told her she would get th remainder of her deposit back (minus what she didn't pay for February's rent). She verbally agreed that she would do that.

Everything seemed amenable, so I scheduled some prospective new roommates to view the room this past Sunday. I gave her 3 days notice that I would have people coming through between a set time, and she could be there or not, but that I needed to show it. She agreed.

The day we are to show the room, she and her boyfriend are in their sleeping. SHe said she forgot. She got up and we started the open house. Her boyfriend went outside and started threatening strangers saying that they couldn't come upstairs to look at the apartment, etc.

I went into discuss what was going on with her and he came up and physically threatened me. My other roommate called the cops. The cops came and we filed a harassment against her boyfriend.

She became dramatic and upset and told me that she is not leaving now until the 7th, that I cannot show the room, and that I have to give her receipts for the rent she paid.

She and her boyfriend evidentely were formerly drug users and I"m concerned that they are using drugs again.

I don't know what my rights are in this situation. I need her to let me show the apartment, and I need her to be out by the first so that I can get a tenant in there.

Because she was threatening that she would not move out and that she would not allow me to show the apartment, my friends and family are advising me that I should not give her any receipts. She paid cash and she never changed her address or received any mail at the apartment up until this point.

What rights do I have to get this crazy person out of my house?
3xeffed

Return to NYC General Discussion