TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Tenant Blacklist

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Tenant Blacklist

Postby tenanthelp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi

My understanding is that any matter that is brought into court is put into the tenant black list, whether dismissed, settled or there is judgement.
Is this information also on my credit report and for how long?

Is it better for a case to be "dismissed" by a judge, or to be settled by a settlement, in terms of credit report/black lists?

Are there keywords I need to include in a settlement that protect me in this regard?
tenanthelp

Postby MikeW » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:35 pm

It's not a designated 'black list', it's simply a database of court records. If you go to housing court (or any other court) it's entered in the database.

The problem is how a future possible LL will interpret that information. If the LL sees that a prospective tenant has been to housing court, for whatever reason, he may decide that he doesn't want to take a chance on that tenant, especially if he has a choice of multiple prospects.
MikeW

Postby JGT » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 am

Also they have websites that LL use to trade info on a tenant. Like if you bring him or he brings you to court he can put your name on a website that some other LL can see. Either way, this really reeks of discrimination even though it`s not based on race, religion, etc ect. It woud be curious to see if you could sue for damages. I mean of all things, I would assume not being able to get housing is as damaging as gets
JGT

Return to NYC General Discussion