TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

"Weatherization" of my rent-stabilized building?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

"Weatherization" of my rent-stabilized building?

Postby KButler1993 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:14 pm

The management of my rent-stabilized building has asked us to fill out a "NYS Division of Housing & Community Renewal Weatherization Assistance Program DHCR#4". The form asks for our age, sex, source and amount of income (weekly, monthly, yearly).
Is it necessary for me to complete this form? Is this legit? I'm afraid that it will be used to jack up our rents somehow.
KButler1993

Postby TenantNet » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:25 pm

I don't believe you are required to complete that information and that it might be a privacy issue. However, I don't know for certain and I'll lookaround. Can you elaborate on the program?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby queensborough » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Click on the link for information on the program.

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/Programs/We ... tSheet.pdf
queensborough

the NYS link

Postby KButler1993 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm

I did check it out. What concerns me is that our combined income is higher than what's listed as eligible on the NYS site. I'm sure there are enough tenants in the building for them to qualify (it has 7 floors) so should I just ignore the landlord's request?
Thanks for your prompt responses!
KButler1993

Postby TenantNet » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:04 pm

I would look at this in the context of the high income deregulation provisions. See if your household income exceeds those threshholds, and then you have something to worry about. Actually that can be a threat without the weatherization program, but now is the time to check that out as well.

And even beyond that, your private information is just that ... private. Even the deregulation income data is kept from the landlord (supposedly) in that DHCR will review the NYS income tax filings, not the LL.

I would ignore it and see if the LL wants to force the issue. And in the meantime, do your own analysis for exposure on high income dereg.

TenantNet

deregulation

Postby KButler1993 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks again. I did the research and we're nowhere near the threshold and probably never will be, but nevertheless, I'm going to forgo completing the form and hope they don't bug me about it. My husband just read to me a letter that the management sent out to the tenants today - apparently there is alot of reluctance to complete this form!
KButler1993

Postby TenantNet » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm

My LL periodically send out letters requesting info. I ignore it. They have no reason to have it, and it could be used against me. As far as I know, you are not required to give them certain info .. and if not required, then don't do so.

TenantNet

Postby KButler1993 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Amen! Thanks for your help and reassurance. This is a great website!
KButler1993

Postby lofter1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:22 pm

FYI: For the owner of a building to receive the assistance specific information on the occupants is required. However, this does not mean that the occupant is necessarily required to fill out the form or provide the information.

Multi-Family Building Eligibility

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/Programs/We ... tSheet.pdf

The Program helps reduce energy costs of privately-owned unassisted housing, and of affordable housing assisted or supervised by DHCR, HTFC and other agencies. Assistance may only be provided for buildings where more than 66% of the tenants have been determined to meet income and other eligibility requirements. In certain cases this requirement may be lowered to 50% of tenants. Eligibility of the building must be verified by examining income of existing tenants before any work can begin. Vacant units may be counted as eligible units if the owner agrees in writing to rent those units to eligible households upon completion of work, or within 180 days, whichever is sooner.
lofter1

Postby TenantNet » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:28 pm

That may be a good program, but it does not require tenants to divulge the information, and a tenant might consider their privacy (and the downside to the LL's obtaining the information) more important.

TenantNet

Postby ronin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:34 am

I would be very reluctant to give that information to the LL. If it is required then assume the agency will contact you for the information or provide an official notice that you have to give it to the LL.

But it definitely seems to be a legitimate program. The question is why does the form have to be collected by the LL instead of the DHCR?

This program seems like a good thing overall, but doesn't respect the privacy of tenants and therefore causes unnecessary stress.
ronin

latest request for info

Postby KatrinkG » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:14 pm

All of the tenants in my building received a form from the Sunset Park Redevelopment Committee Inc., which apparently is a part of the "Energy Conservation Program of South West Brooklyn", saying that they are collecting the info that my landlord needs to weatherize the building. I won't be around when they come around during the day for our "appointment" to submit our documents, but they also are collecting them on September 15 & 29. According to the form, "your information is used solely to qualify the development for services, remains private, and is not shared with any outside agency, or your landlord." Yet this is the first we've heard of this particular group. So who got all of the info collected previously?
The landlord is posting signs all over the building saying that in order to "avoid MCI rent increases" we have to submit this info. If we don't, what happens? How will she know if we do or don't? Does every tenant have to submit the info? I'm still leery...
KatrinkG

Return to NYC General Discussion