TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Upstairs neighbor uses fire escape as clothesline

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Upstairs neighbor uses fire escape as clothesline

Postby KButler1993 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Okay, this might seem like a minor beef, but the tenant upstairs from us routinely uses her fire escape as a clothesline (she's the only one in the building who does so). The stuff she hangs out ranges from rags to what I believe are recycled "wee wee pads". The doorway to our deck is right below her fire escape and while I don't mind much in the winter, it's kind of gross in the summer, especially when some of her stuff blows off and onto our deck. They also used to throw used Qtips onto our deck but I confronted her about that. She denied that it was from her apartment but it stopped after that.
Anyway, I don't want to be a jerk about this but I have a feeling that she'll be very reluctant to change her ways. I'm also unwilling to talk to her because she and her husband have awful screaming fights and I don't want to get in the middle of that. Should I talk to the super/landlord about this? Is it illegal to use your fire escape as a clothesline?
KButler1993

Postby queensborough » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:58 am

Why not speak to the super first and if nothing is done then write a letter to the LL and tell him about the situation. Fire escapes are supposed to be clear of any debris.

While fire escapes and terraces should not be used as clotheslines people do it all the time and it looks disgusting.
queensborough

Postby KButler1993 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:24 am

It does look gross, especially because she hangs out tattered rags and the aforementioned wee wee pads. If her fire escape were anywhere else but over our deck I'd say nothing, but I will talk to our super and see what he says.
Thanks for your feedback.
KButler1993

fire escape used as clothes line

Postby KButler1993 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 pm

It's gotten worse - now she's "recycling" Depends and they're falling from her fire escape onto our deck. Twice I've called the super to clean them up and he tells me to call the landlord, who always promises to do something but doesn't. The last time (last week) the super talked to the upstairs folks and threatened to throw out anything he finds on the fire escape from now on. However, I'm not optimistic. I've taken photos and included them with my rent check. Any other suggestions? Would calling 311 or notifying HPD (it's rent-stabilized building) do any good? I don't want the poor woman evicted or anything, I'm just sick of picking up her trash. :(
KButler1993

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi All
If you call 311 ask the operator to notify the FDNY. FDNY will probably speak to the bld. management/tenant.
Emeraldstar

clothesline

Postby KButler1993 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 am

I will do that, thanks.
KButler1993

Return to NYC General Discussion