TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can We Vacate Before Lease Ends?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can We Vacate Before Lease Ends?

Postby nmprisons » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:19 pm

My girlfriend and I are having serious landlord problems. He barges into our apartment without notice, calls the police on us for frivolous things (i.e. strange odor), rings our doorbell at 1:30 a.m., shines flashlights in our bedroom window late at night, threatened us with eviction, and has now begun calling our employers in an attempt to get us fired. We have only been there a short time, but do not feel safe (he lives right below us). We left to stay with family for a few days to figure out what to do. Can we just go get our stuff and move out, give him the keys, and that is that? We can't live there so I don't think we have any other option, but I don't want to have to be liable on the whole lease.

Thanks
nmprisons

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 pm

You can move anytime you wish. The question is will he try to make you pay for the rest of the lease term. From what you describe you would have grounds, but you need to document everything that happens. Photos, movies, diaries, recordings, etc. And if/when you move, take lots of photos and have a witness to your returning the keys. Try to have him give you a written release.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby nmprisons » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Thank you for the reply. His recent letters to us make quite clear that he is going to try and hold us liable for the rest of the rent. (We haven't told him that we are leaving, but he thinks he is going to evict us.) Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was his plan all along.

I am going to try and meet with a lawyer this week. We obviously can't stay there as neither my girlfriend nor I feel safe in the apartment. Hopefully a judge will agree, I guess.

The release is a good idea, though I just can't imagine he would sign one.

Thanks again.
nmprisons

Postby lofter1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:31 pm

Video video video. Catch him in the act. Use it against him.
lofter1

Return to NYC General Discussion