TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord is IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord is IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of.

Postby Blondyee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Okay, so I am super annoyed. I recently agreed to take an apartment, gave the landlord a check for the deposit and the first month's rent and after that it has been a royal pain in the ass trying to get a hold of him. I finally got the keys on Thursday (which I also checked to make sure that they worked) after leaving lots of harassing messages on the phone but a formal lease still hasn't been signed and I haven't even met the other tenants yet. The landlord told me it was possible for me to move in early but I would have to call on Friday to see if the building inspectors had already come because it is a new apartment. I called on Friday to ask and I left a message and he never returned my call. (This is the usual matter of things. It's amazing that I even got the keys from him.) In addition to this whole lease issue, which kind of concerns me, he says we would just sign it when everyone is moved in. What is going on? Is this even legal? Help, I need serious advice!
Blondyee

Postby lofter1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 am

What neighborhood is the rental in?
lofter1

Postby ronin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:17 pm

What does the neighborhood have to do with anything?

Your post is extremely strange.

You say you got keys to an apartment that you have rented, but then say you want to meet the other tenants. That's just bizarre. Do you mean other tenants of the building or other tenants of the apartment you are renting. Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

However, there is one thing that comes through clearly. You have no rights to the apartment in writing and you are acting very hostile to the LL. Who called for the inspectors? If you intend to be hostile before you even sign the lease, you might want to keep your things packed so that when he evicts you you're ready. At best you are a month to month tenant.

But you really should try to write something that gives some useful information. Your post is really obscure.
ronin

Postby Blondyee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Okay, first thing first. I am sorry that YOU could not understand my post. 2nd, I was talking about the other tenants in the actual apartment where I will be living.
The problem comes in when I said that I would give him the deposit and the first month's rent and he said that he would bring the lease up for me to sign. But then after I wrote the check he said that he didn't have a copy of the lease and I would have to sign it later.
In addition I have not been rude to the landlord. It is rude not to return people's calls, especially when I paid for a first months rent and haven't even had the opportunity to sign a lease. And I also said thank you when he gave me the keys.
I was looking for helpful advice here because I am scared and instead I'm getting criticized.
Blondyee

Postby lofter1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I asked about the neighborhood because, as you point out, the post seemed "strange" -- and very possibly not a NYC situation.
lofter1

Postby Blondyee » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Hah, it is my understanding that this is a VERY New York situation. (This is info I received from someone who was born in New York.) But alas, since I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this forum I think I will look elsewhere for answers.
Blondyee

Postby CityWifi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:30 am

Blondee and others:

One big mistake you made is handing over rent before you had a signed agreement. I'm sorry for your situation, and truly hope it resolves favorably. But let this be a lesson -- never, never, never give money to anyone for an apartment until all of your questions have been satisfied, and you have a lease, and all significant issues which are not in the lease, but are discussed and agreed upon by both parties, are documented.

Wish I could be more helpful; please take this in the spirit that is meant. :-)
CityWifi

Return to NYC General Discussion