TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Roaches, do they ever go away?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Roaches, do they ever go away?

Postby gothrashers » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:26 pm

I just moved into a new apartment that is infested with roaches. The landlord knew of the problem before I moved in but says he didn't realize it was as bad as it is. After a week of an exterminator spraying three times and 19 roach baits put out around the apartment the situation appears to be improving. Although, last night I woke up to a roach crawling across my face.

I want out of the apartment because it feels like a toxic waste dump with all the chemicals in it and even though the roaches are finally out of the refrigerator I just can't see myself ever living comfortably there. But, I just spoke to an attorney and I don't think I can afford the legal fees necessary to bring the landlord to court. (Although, if I win the case the landlord should have to pay the fees).

Does anyone have any success stories with getting rid of a massive infestation? None of my neighbors have roaches so it appears to be coming exclusively from the apartment I rented. I'm worried all of my furniture is being ruined. I've found them already crawling on my brand new mattress and box springs.

Thanks.
gothrashers

Postby TenantNet » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm

The only way that works: kill and clean.

Find the infestation source. It could be inside anything. Close up holes in the walls.

Boric Acid did a lot of good, more than sprays or hotels. But don't use that if you have pets.

See if there's an infestation in the building's basement. Also check to see if water bugs are coming up through the drains.

Start cleaning every surface, then clean again.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Why is it my responsibility?

Postby gothrashers » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm

I just moved in. I've spent over $100 on roach killer when I've lived here a week and the landlord knew this problem was here before he rented the apartment to me. The roaches now infest my things and I feel sick from all the chemicals in the apartment. The landlord acted unethically in renting this place to me and he needs to take care of the problem for good or let me out of the lease and pay me for my economic loss.
gothrashers

Postby lappert » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Amazon has 16 oz of boric acid for $3.29. I've seen it at hardware stores. Stop with the expensive crap. Try this page. http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef614.asp
lappert

Postby queensborough » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Tell the LL that you want the exterminator to put down the roach gel poison, not the spray. The gel works better, but it may take a little longer. They put it on all the cabinet hinges, door hinges, under the sinks, etc. It does not have a odor at all.
queensborough

Return to NYC General Discussion