TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Notice to leave after living there for 27 days

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Postby wildfire0047 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:26 am

Hello, I have only lived in my apt for 27 days i have repainted with landlord approval. I received a notice to leave and my landlord will not return my phone calls nor the city housing service calls nor is he coming to the apartment. I have recently found out that the house is in foreclosure and up for auction at the end of the month however he just put an add in the paper to rent out my unit. The tenant downstairs have not received a notice. I was wondering what i should do and do you think this is some sort of discrimination. I have not been able to find a similar case to mine and also cannot afford to move again. Please help
wildfire0047

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:53 am

Do you have a lease?

What form was the notice? In writing? Mail, email?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby wildfire0047 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm

He has a month to month agreement with all tenants in the building he would not allow me to do a year lease when i moved in. I thought that was fine b/c i have a job to pay my rent on time and thought it would be not problem. (little did i know)

He sent the letter via mail and then again cert mail.
wildfire0047

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:55 pm

If it's month-to-month, then there must be 30 days notice and it usually conforms to the rent date, which is usually the first of the month. If you got the notice today, October 7th, then it wouldn't be effective until December 1 ... the first rent payment date after 30 days have expired. Of course you can continue in occupancy and force him to commence a proceeding in Housing Court. You might buy some additional time, but they will get you out as long as it's not rent regulated.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby wildfire0047 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:02 pm

Well due to this situation i am scared to find another apartment in fear that my landlord may not like my shoes and kick me out again. I didnt sign up for a hotel i wanted a place to live and i dont ever know what the reasons are behind it and if maybe we could talk about it. I am just so upset and feel victimized.
wildfire0047

Return to NYC General Discussion