TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need a pro bono lawyer to help with an illegal eviction

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Need a pro bono lawyer to help with an illegal eviction

Postby designrrr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:28 am

I'm trying to help a woman that has had a marshal's notice placed on her door by her shady landlord. There was no rent demand letter or any other warning. While it's true she owed back rent there are procedures to be followed. She had this happen before and went to housing court and he was paid.

This landlord has access to her mail box and had removed all her court notices before, causing her to not appear in court. Every legal notice sent to her is removed and he shows it was sent by proof of mailing or certified. She used a lawyer there who was no help. This is a hard working, honest woman with a teenage son under 18 in a bad financial position and can't get into her apt. as the locks were changed. This is an illegal eviction.

I need an attorney in NYC with a good heart and a conscience to help her. Please send me a private message or post here if you are willing to help. Thank you!
designrrr

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 am

Please do not expect a lawyer to suddenly come out of the woodwork here. Our advertisers are in private practice and charge for their services. If the tenant's income qualifies, she might be able to get Legal Aid or Legal Services (although we've had increasing complaints that even they are refusing to help some tenants).

The tenant should go to court, if possible get help from the Pro Se attorney, and file an Order to Show Cause.

I would also contact the USPS - if the LL is taking this tenant's mail, that's a federal crime.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion