TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

food cart vendors at night

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

food cart vendors at night

Postby greenslade » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:16 pm

There is a kebab, etc., cart parked right next to my building at night on weekends and holidays and operating from 11:pm to 5:am, cooking food, not just pulling hotdogs out of hot water. Tenants of our building have complained to police, 311, our LL, etc about this guy but he's been out there for well over a year now flashing his permit and badge anytime he's confronted.

Is this legal?

Even bars must close at 4:am! Restaurants have to ventilated to the roof of the building they're located in. Restaurants have to go through a CB approval process.

I have to close my windows and run fans to get rid of the hideous smell in the wee hours of the morning in order to get any sleep, as do my neighbors. It's like we're paying for his ventilation system. It's simply unacceptable.

Does anyone have an idea of what recourse we have to shut this guy down?
greenslade

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi All
My neighbors & I had this problem. What worked in our situation is there are regs of how many feet away from a building, courners, curbs and commercial vs residential areas. There may be regs for hours of business as well. I'm not sure about that.
For us it was a violation of footage & placement on the vendors part to put the cart at a courner too close to a store, pedestrian crossing, and exhausting fumes into resident's windows. The police had to get them to move.
I would try an email to the commissioner of licenseing requesting an inspection of the carts placement/hours. While this may be a pain, the tenants affected also attended a precinct community meeting to directly talk with the commander. Your precinct may have a meeting as well. Good luck. :wink:
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion